Moroccan Tagine with a Bit of Spain
I love Spanish food. I love my tagine. If I can make it in my wood fired oven... Why not?
But, you can prepare this meal without the oven and even without the tagine. Here's what you need:
1 14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced, casing removed if possible
2 bay leaves, fresh or dried will do the trick
1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika
3 sage leaves, shredded
Leaves of one small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
bread and yogurt
- Heat the olive oil in a tagine, or a heavy skillet that has a lid. Cast iron would be great.
- Sauté the onion, and garlic until softened and fragrant.
- Add the chorizo, bay leaves, and paprika. Toss to combine.
- Add the chickpeas and cover.
- Cook over medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Add the sage leaves, the parsley, and lemon juice and allow to sit for 2 minutes off heat.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with bread and yogurt