CHOCOLATE + ALMOND PASTE =
CHOCOLATE AMARETTI COOKIES
Yield: 30 cookies
Soft and chewy and chocolaty and sweet and light.
These gluten free, low fat cookies are basically Amaretti con Pignoli (earlier blog post) but with the addition of chocolate and the subtraction of pignoli. How can you go wrong?
7 oz. almond paste
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup chocolate chips
· Preheat oven to 375 and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
· Place almond paste, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until almond paste is very finely chopped.
· Add the egg whites and process until smooth.
· Add the chocolate chips and pulse to blend into the batter.
· Using a small ice cream scoop, or a couple of spoons, dollop the batter onto the baking sheets 2 inches apart.
· Sprinkle slivered almonds on top of each cookie.
· Bake for 12-14 minutes until risen and starting to crack.
· Remove and slide off of baking sheet to cool.
· Let them cool completely, they will firm a bit as they cool.