Caramelized Onion and Cheese Palmiers
Yield: 2 dozen
Okay, these got rave reviews as an Easter dinner hors d'oeuvres.
Cheeses? Take your pick:
Two red onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, I used the espresso infused balsamic from Kristos Olive Oil in Arvada
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
4 ounces soft cheese, rind removed and room temperature
2 teaspoons water
- Heat the butter in a large skillet and slowly caramelize the onions with the brown sugar and the vinegar.
- When soft and sweet, remove to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out your puff pastry into an 12x8 inch rectangle.
- Spread the cheese over the pastry, right up to the edges.
- Cover with the onions.
- Fold one side of the dough towards the middle, then the other side, leaving a space in the middle.
- Then repeat folding the one side then the other again, over on itself.
- Then, close the book. Folding one half of the rolled dough over the other half.
- Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for half an hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Place on parchment paper-line baking sheets.
- Refrigerate again for about 15 minutes.
- Combine the egg and water.
- Brush over the slices.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until puffed and golden.